Worsley and Eccles South Constituency
The Worsley and Eccles South constituency is located in the North West of England and has been formed from the former seats of Worsley and parts of Eccles following a review by the Boundary Commission for England. It includes the wards of Barton, Boothstown and Ellenbrook, Cadishead, Irlam, Little Hulton, Walkden North, Walkden South, Winton and Worsley.
A famous local feature in the constituency is the Bridgewater canal, which was open by 1765.
Worsley is renowned for its pastoral beauty, and its canal is lined with timbered buildings dating from the 19th century, including the Court House and Worsley Old Hall. Worsley's economy used to be focused on weaving but it is now largely a commuter area with many leisure activities for residents and tourists to enjoy.
Boothstown and Walkden are now residential areas, but were historically strong in both coal mining and textiles.
Little Hulton has undergone a resurgence in recent years. The main school in Little Hulton – Harrop Fold High – flourished under the previous Labour government, going from special measures at the beginning of the decade to a brand new building and consistently improving results.
Until the early 19th century, Irlam and Cadishead were relatively remote and underdeveloped. Much of the land area was moss land – largely part of Chat Moss. It was not until 1805 that work began on the reclamation of this area.
In 1894, the Irlam Urban District came into being and the Manchester Ship Canal was opened. The later history of the area became closely linked with the Manchester Ship Canal. Much industrial development took place along the canal banks. The Irlam Steelworks, which opened in 1910, were a major source of local employment and economic stability until their closure in 1979. A diversified Industrial Estate has now been developed on the site of the former steelworks.
The wards of Barton and Winton are located in the town of Eccles. Eccles remained industry-free until the latter part of the 18th century, when Barton was transformed by the building of the Bridgewater Canal. Built by the Duke of Bridgewater, the canal was used by the Duke to transport coal from his mines at Worsley to the industrial areas of Manchester.
Also at Barton, the canal's engineer, James Brindley, constructed his famous aqueduct to carry the canal over the River Irwell, and the first barge loaded with coal used this engineering feat in 1761.
Barton is the new home of Salford’s Super League rugby team, Salford City Reds.