Many people in Salford have told me that they are becoming worried by the threat of privatisation of the NHS. For 66 years, the NHS has served us well with services delivered free at the point of need.
But now, because Conservative and Liberal Democrat Ministers forced through their Health and Social Care Act, existing NHS organisations can lose work to profit-making private health organisations.
Recently, commissioners of services gave a contract to a private health company to run scanning services in Lancashire, Shropshire, Cheshire and Staffordshire. The NHS bid to run these services was said to be £7 million cheaper, so it is hard to see what justified this privatisation.
As an MP on the Health Select Committee, it is alarming to see this race to privatise our NHS. In Stoke and Staffordshire all cancer and end of life care services are being put out to tender. The majority of organisations bidding for the £1.2 billion 10-year contract for these services are private health companies.
When the Health committee looked at this at Westminster, we were told that there were no examples elsewhere in the world where this risky approach to tendering had been tried. It seems even more risky when we see that the first private company running an NHS hospital has pulled out apparently because the contract was costing them too much.
At the same time as public money is being wasted on these unnecessary market experiments, we are short of hospital nurses, GPs, district nurses and other staff who could be helping to run our health and care services more safely and effectively.
Our NHS has clearly been damaged by this Government's expensive and unnecessary re-organisation. Cuts to social care and other community services have added to a winter of crisis for the NHS.
Now more than ever we need the investment that a Labour Government would put into 20,000 more nurses, 8,000 more GPs and 5,000 more care workers. Labour will also put an end to the uncertainty and waste caused by privatisation and will end NHS services having to be put out to tender.
Many people in Salford have told me that they are becoming worried by the threat of privatisation of the NHS. For 66 years, the NHS has served us well with...
Barbara has secured a debate in Parliament in which she plans to raise environmental issues caused to local residents from the operation of the former White’s Recycling Plant in Eccles.
Local councillors David Jolley and John Mullen have been raising with the Environment Agency problems reported by local residents from the operation of the plant. A number of the issues date back for years. In spring and summer 2014, Barbara began pressing the Environment Agency and DEFRA Ministers to deal more robustly with the problems from the commercial waste recycling site.
Local people have reported many issues with dust, odours, flies, vermin and with waste stacks that were so high they threatened to pollute areas surrounding the site. It was also reported that the site operator allowed work outside the hours permitted in the planning permission for the site.
The debate will be held in Westminster on Wednesday 11th February and will be answered by a Minister from the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs.
“I have campaigned for some time for swifter and more robust action from the Environment Agency to deal with the problems from this site in Eccles."
“The permit for new waste at the site was revoked some weeks ago around the time that liquidators were appointed for the business. Now there are questions to be answered about plans for clearing the site and about the way the Environment Agency has monitored and regulated the site.”
Read the debate here
Picture courtesy of SalfordOnline.com/@salfordonline
Barbara has secured a debate in Parliament in which she plans to raise environmental issues caused to local residents from the operation of the former White’s Recycling Plant in Eccles....
Barbara has criticised the announcement by Transport for Greater Manchester that double decker buses will be used on the Leigh Guided Busway. Transport for Greater Manchester has announced that the bus operator First has now been awarded the contract for the Busway and will be using double decker buses on the route.
Planning for the Busway scheme has taken over 10 years and, until recently, the materials about the scheme showed single decker buses being used. Residents in Ellenbrook whose homes adjoin the route have already lost trees and shrubs behind their homes to allow for construction of the route and will now have double decker buses running past them.
“The decision to use double decker buses is bad news for people who live next to the Busway route in Ellenbrook. For years, until recently, the materials used by Transport for Greater Manchester for the scheme have shown single decker buses being used. This led to an expectation of how the scheme would operate when running on the guided route in Ellenbrook. Residents have been asking whether single or double decker buses would be used, as this makes a big difference to the degree to which their homes and gardens will be overlooked by the buses. They were told it would be up to the Bus Operator to decide this”
“This is just another example of the way Transport for Greater Manchester has let down residents in Ellenbrook and commuters along the East Lancs Road by failing to communicate what the scheme actually means to local people. I know that the Busway construction works are causing great stress and frustration to drivers every day and I have urged Transport for Greater Manchester to do much more to minimise the impact of the roadworks.”
Barbara has criticised the announcement by Transport for Greater Manchester that double decker buses will be used on the Leigh Guided Busway. Transport for Greater Manchester has announced that the...