Contact Barbara Keeley MP
Contact Barbara Keeley MP

The role of an MP

MPs can help their constituents by advising on problems, principally those that arise from the work of government departments. MPs represent the interests of all their constituents, not just the people who voted for them.

More information on the role of an MP can be found in the Parliament factsheet ‘You and Your MP’. This can be found online at

How Barbara can help

Barbara is only able to help directly with problems concerning central government services such as:

  • Benefits, pensions, national insurance and other matters dealt with by the Department for Work and Pensions
  • Immigration and other problems dealt with by the Home Office
  • Tax problems involving the HM Revenue and Customs
  • Problems with the NHS
  • Problems with the Child Support Agency/Child Maintenance Service

Barbara will do everything she can to help constituents but she will not be able to support every cause. Barbara cannot give legal advice and cannot intervene in court cases, legal issues, civil issues or police investigations. Also, Barbara cannot challenge immigration decisions that have been made by the Home Office. MPs have no jurisdiction over private organisations.

If there are matters you want Barbara to pursue on your behalf, the most effective way is usually to write to her giving all the relevant details including any reference numbers. Please bear in mind that Barbara is likely to send a photocopy of your letter to whoever the relevant person/organisation is, together with a covering letter of my own asking them to comment or investigate.

In some cases it may be necessary to refer a case to a more appropriate body such as a local councillor or another local or national organisation.

Problems with local authority services such as litter, bin collections or housing can be raised with your local councillor. To find out who your local councillor is you should go to and enter your postcode.

The Citizen’s Advice Bureau offers free, impartial and confidential advice on your rights and responsibilities. You can contact Salford CAB on 0844 826 9695 (or 0300 456 2554 from a mobile). The website is also very helpful

Parliamentary Protocol

There is a strict convention at Westminster that Members of Parliament do not seek to intervene in matters affecting the constituents of other Members. In normal circumstances, therefore, Barbara will only be able to pursue matters raised by her own constituents.

Link to Instagram Link to Twitter Link to YouTube Link to Facebook Link to LinkedIn Link to Snapchat Close Fax Website Location Phone Email Calendar Building Search